COVID-19 UPDATE: We are open! Our team is working and offering consultations via phone, e-mail, and video conferencing.
San Diego Legal Advocates
No Cost Case Evaluation 619.374.1268
What Happens If I Get a DUI Outside of California?

What Happens If I Get a DUI Outside of California?

If you were convicted of driving under the influence (DUI) outside of California, how will that affect you once in California? California is one of the states included in the Interstate Drivers’ License Compact. This compact shares all information about DUI arrests with the other member states. The only states that are not part of it are Wisconsin, Tennessee, Michigan, Massachusetts, and Georgia.

Every state in the country has a law prohibiting drivers from operating a vehicle while under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol. Across the board, the legal limit for drivers is .08% blood alcohol content (BAC). While every state uses different specific phrasing in its drunk driving statutes, the general idea is same across the board.

For example, some states like Ohio refer to DUIs as OVIs (operating under the influence). While the letters of the charge are different, it is still considered an equivalent offense in a state like California. This means that since both Ohio and California are members of the Interstate Drivers’ License Compact, the conviction would carry over and count against you in California.

What Should I Do If I’m Charged with a DUI While On Vacation?

If you’re charged with a DUI while on vacation, it’s important to seek out a DUI attorney in the state that you were charged in. Seeking out representation from an attorney from a different state could simply slow down the entire process – it’s likely that that attorney is not licensed to practice law in the state you need them in.

Contact a San Diego DUI Defense Attorney

At Premier Criminal Defense, LLC, our San Diego DUI lawyers understand what it takes to fight for and secure the legal outcome you need. If you were charged with a DUI in California, it’s important to hire legal representation as soon as possible so you have the opportunity to fight the charges against you. Call our firm at (619) 304-9190 today to discuss your situation with one of our experienced lawyers, or fill out our online form with the details of your case. A member of our firm will reach out to you as soon as possible to begin planning the next steps you need to take.

Related Posts: